So you heard of Steven Soderbergh, the laundry.But what are the papers of the Mossack Fonseca and Panama?
He may have heard a little excitement on a new Meryl Streep film, Antonio Banderas, Gary Oldman and David Schwimmer.
The movie calledThe laundryIt has nothing to do with the currency -operated wash machines and the ultra tide.
It's about thePanama documents, hePulitzer Prize Winning ResearchPosted in 2016, and the law firmMossack Fonseca, which was in the heart of the reports.
This is what you need to know about the investigation that inspired the movie, before the laundry is released inVenice Film FestivalOn September 1st. It is directed by Steven Soderbergh and will bereleasedOn Netflix later this year.
What is Panama's articles research?
HePanama documentsIt is the name given to one of the largest document leaks and the largest collaborations of journalists in history.
Published in 2016, Panama documents involved more than 350 reporters from 80 countries and were coordinated byInternational Research Journalists ConsortiumFrom then on, more journalists added dozens to collaboration, and the investigation continued.
Help us change the world.Get our stories by and email.
What is Mossack Fonseca?
Mossack Fonseca was a little -known but powerful law firm, based in Panama.Panama articles focused on almost 40 years of company data, which had 35 places around the world.It was one of the main creators of shell companies and corporate structures that can be used to hide asset property.The company closed its doors in April 2018.
It was founded by Jürgen Mossack and Ramón Fonseca, who are played by actors Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas.
What do the documents reveal?
Panama documents, combined with a year of reports, revealed as 140 politicians, as well as celebrities, drug traffickers, supposed weapons traffickers and the global elite, obscured their wealth (legally and illegally) and questionable throughdifficult businesses of companies and fiscal paradise.
Finally, the documents provided an unprecedented look at the secret finance industry on the high seas and how it was used to hide all types of disastrous behavior.According to reports, the laundry follows the fictitious character Ellen Martin, played by Meryl Streep, as he advances in his own journey of discovery by this underworld of the underworld of ghost companies and shaded transactions.
Where do all the documents come from?
Panama document investigation was based on 11.5 million documents (and emails, bank statements, passport photos and more) from Mossack Fonseca.
Two journalists from Süddeutsche Zeitung, Bastian Obermayer and Frederik Obermier (no relationship) obtained the documents and shared them with ICIJ, which brought together a team of some of the best research reporters in the world.
- Recommended Reading
Who leaked the documents?
An anonymous complaint called "John Doe".
DOE Emitted thedeclarationAfter the publication of Panama documents.Dooe wrote: “I decided to expose Fonseca do Mossack because I thought its founders, employees and customers should be responsible for their roles in these crimes, only some of which have come to light so far.Years, possibly decades, during the full scope of the sordid acts of the company to be known."
(If you are the next John Doe, you can find out howFile for us, and our network here.)
What happened after Panama newspapers?
Where do we start?In the days and weeks after public UEFA, respectively.
Since then,As soon as a month passesNo more news from Panama.
The first -Pakistan minister was sent to arrest for corruption, New Zealand changed its laws, the United Kingdom recovered hundreds of dollars in taxes and fines, Algeria opened a money laundering investigation into a corporate titan and theColombia doubled his tax income collection
Prosecutors in the United States announced criminal accusations against four men in December 2018.The first trial starts in January 2020.
What happened to Mossack Fonseca?
HeFiren de Lawyers closedSUS founders deny irregularities.
In February 2017, Panama researchers arrested Fonseca and Mossack on money laundering charges.They were later released, although criminal investigations continue.
The Panama Prosecutor announced a new money laundering investigation in the law firm earlier this year, according toThe Panama Star.
How did the movie Ramón Fonseca and Jürgen respond to the movie?
The lawyers foundSue Netflix by defamation for the moviein which they are played, respectively, by Antonio Banderas and Gary Oldman.
Private Investigator Arthur Ventura JrStates in a statement to the Connecticut District CourtThat "in their opinion" Mossack and Fonseca "are not only goals for a federal investigation," but they are also subject to the positions of us, promoters "that both men fulfill a prison."
"If the Netflix movie and the false insinuation expresses in it are allowed in their subscribers' viewing home, the plaintiffs would be severely harmed in any attempt mossack and Fonseca wrote that the release of the film can make it difficult for the couple having a trialonly in the United States.
Did Icij have done something else since then?
ICIJ has published more innovative global research in the offshore industry (seeNewspapers for Paradise, Like this,Leaks in West Africa, Like this,Mauricio VazayBribery division) and other sectors persecuted by regulatory lagoons that endanger public safety, such as medical devices and solitary confinement (seeImplant filesyLonely voices).
Our reports about the Panama documents also continued.June 2018, ICIJ and its partners published new stories of a new filtration of 1.2 million Fonseca Mossack files.From 2016 until the end of 2017, a few months before the company Collapsara.The information was obtained by the same newspaper that received the first leak, Süddeutsche Zeitung and shared with ICIJ.
I want to know more, where should I start?
- Read the original ad.Vaa the main conclusions of when the first stories were published in 2016 (2 minutes)
- What has happened since Panama's roles?Find out how the world responded to innovative research with arrests, protests and new laws (3 minutes)
- See the victims of the video on the high seas.Disk how the shell companies played a role in hurting real people, brutal attacks against civilians to children's sex rings and ruins hospitals.(4 minutes)
- Revive the memorable moments (and strangers)From yogurt protests to small mustaches and #fontgate that broke an important judicial case, read 11 things we had left with us reflecting on the investigation of Panama documents (5 minutes)
- Explore power players.See some of the high rate politicians (and their relatives and associates) who were linked to secret companies at sea.
- Play the stairs to the tax sky.Choose a character and see if you can hide your wealth without being caught
- Read the story of the law firm.Dicubra how Mossack Fonseca was founded and how he became an important participant in the financial sector on the high seas (18 minutes)
- Go after the scene when Mossack Fonseca responded to Panama documents.Vaa What we found in a second filtration of Mossack Fonseca documents that showed how the company (and the and emails they sent) after the investigation (17 minutes) (17 minutes)
- Dive into a complete description of the search resultsFrom the members of Vladimir Putin to terrorist organizations to celebrities and sports stars, read the original story of Panama newspapers that created headlines around the world (27 minutes)
This story was updated on October 18, 2019 to add the question "How did Ramón Fonseca and Jürgen Mossack answer the movie?"